Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 08:57:07 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Remy.Card@masi.ibp.fr
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem clean flag

> 	Correcting this problem is trivial: when a filesystem is mounted in
> read-write mode, store the value of the clean flag and restore this value in
> the superblock when the filesystem is unmounted.

This sounds interesting.

> 	Also, I have compared the clean flag implementation with my own
> implementation in the Linux Ext2 filesystem and I found that FreeBSD does
> not allow the administrator to request periodical checks of the filesystems.

I don't see how this buys us much, unless your ext2fs code works so
differently from FFS that in-situ filesystem checks yield anything but
bogus "corruption" errors that are really just the result of reading
filesystem operations in mid-progress.  Do you have a flag that locks
the filesystem out for write access while you're checking it (and
syncs it first, of course)?

> 	Please, no ``BSD vs Linux'' or ``UFS vs Ext2fs'' war! :-)

Naw, I'm more inclined to ask about Ext2FS on FreeBSD.  How is that
little project coming? :-)

						Jordan