Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:47:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        brett@lariat.org
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating Sendmail

Brett:

As somebody already mentioned, an updated sendmail is avialable in
ports collection. Just build it there, and install.

Unless you change the destination directory,
it installs everything in /usr/local/..., so you'll have to
change your starting path in /etc/rc.conf
Also, edit /etc/mail/mailer.conf
(if you want to read about this file, man mailwrapper)

For smrsh, you'll need to  change the path to it in your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
If you have any links in /usr/libexec/sm.bin,
do cp -RP /usr/libexec/sm.bin /usr/local/libexec/sm.bin
and correct the link to the new location of vacation(1)
(/usr/local/bin/vacation)

I hope I didn't miss anything.

Take a look at pkg-plist in /usr/ports/mail/sendmail -
it does not seem to install any configuration files you were worrying
about. Why worry about somethings without looking at it ?

...ports/mail/sendmail#less pkg-plist
@comment $FreeBSD: ports/mail/sendmail/pkg-plist,v 1.3 2001/06/15 17:27:58 dinoe
x Exp $
bin/hoststat
bin/mailq
bin/newaliases
bin/purgestat
bin/rmail
bin/vacation
libexec/mail.local
libexec/smrsh
sbin/mailstats
sbin/makemap
sbin/praliases
sbin/sendmail
%%PORTDOCS%%share/doc/sendmail/DEVTOOLS
%%PORTDOCS%%share/doc/sendmail/SENDMAIL
%%PORTDOCS%%share/doc/sendmail/MAIL.LOCAL
%%PORTDOCS%%share/doc/sendmail/SMRSH

Hope, that helps.

Igor