Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:06:51 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        abovone@mindspring.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports

Alex,

   This is a common problem that pops up on this list quite frequently.
Try the steps outlined below and let me know if you still have problems.

Joe

   Did you:

1. Place the correct CD in the cdrom drive?
2. Log in or su as root
2. mount the cd with "mount /cdrom?
3. go to the directory of the port you wish to install with "cd
/usr/ports/whatever?
4. Once inside the directory, did you type "make install"?

If you followed these steps, it should have detected the cdrom in your
cdrom drive and installed the correct port application.  I'm guessing you
didn't mount the cdrom first or you're getting packages confused with
ports.  If you log in as root and mount a particular cdrom and then look
inside the cdrom directory (cd /cdrom), you should be able to see the
contents of the cdrom by using "ls".  Packages are located in the
"packages" directory and ports in the "port/distfiles" directories.
Installing a package involves a different process but it's not that
difficult.  To install a package, do this:

1. After finding the package on the cd you wish to install, cd out of the
/cdrom
      directory and type "umount /cdrom" (DO NOT MOUNT THE CDROM AGAIN)

2. Make sure you're logged in as root and type "/stand/sysinstall"

3. Choose "Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD" and then "Install
pre-packaged software for FreeBSD".

4.  Finally, choose "Install from a FreeBSD CDROM" and choose the packages
you want to install.

Hope this helps..

Joe

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          abovone@minds|
|        |          pring.com    |
|        |                       |
|        |          08/15/00     |
|        |          07:51 AM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG               |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Joe Warner/SMS)                     |
  |       Subject:     ports                                |
  >---------------------------------------------------------|

Having trouble installing ports..
I'm tring to install emacs, I did a whereis command to find the directory,
cd to it (/usr/ports/editors/emacs) ls the dir found the files

Makefile   README.html   files   patches    pkg
    these are the skeleton file right?

then as the complete FreeBSD book states
entered a make command at the prompt
then got this message

emacs-19.34btar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system
then it tried to ftp it from a site (I'm not connected yet so that didn't
work)
there's no atempt to get it from my cdrom (it is mounted  cd /cdrom)..
What am I doing Wrong???

Same thing happens to every port i try to install....

Alex