Date:      Mon,  1 Feb 1999 23:10:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Derrell Lipman <Derrell.Lipman@InventionCity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Bill Pechter <pechter@shell.monmouth.com>
Subject:   How to Force ICMP redirect packets

Hello.  I'm using FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE.  I have two network
interfaces to the outside world, a slow one (sl0) and a fast one
(de0).  My IP addresses are based on my slow link since I have a class
C on that network, but I want the fast link (which has a single
dynamic IP address via dhclient) to be used for most communication.
This router machine, obviously, has two IP addresses -- one for each
network.

dhclient-script configures my routing table with a default route to
the fast link, and from that (router) machine, everything works fine.
However, the other machines on the LAN (ed0) are receiving data only
over the slow link (since their IP addresses are in the class C of
that link).

I would like redirect packets to be sent on all requests inbound on
the slow link, so that the fast link is used instead.  I've looked at
"route", "routed", "gated", "ipfirewall", and "ipfw" and the only
thing that looks like it might work is the 'divert' option in
ipfirewall, but that option seems not to be available in ipfw, and I
can't find any apps that use the divert sockets.

Am I going about this in the wrong way?  Is there a better way to get
the fast link to be used whenever it's available?  I _do_ want the
slow link to be used when the fast one goes down for some reason, or
while a new dynamic IP adderss is propogating through the name
servers.

Thanks for any assistance,

Derrell Lipman