Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 23:35:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freefall.cdrom.com!freebsd-hackers, ponds!xinside.com!patrick, ponds!lambert.org!terry
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: freebsd performance.]

> >  The basic idea for the equivalence proof is that:
> >
> > 	1) All DFAs are NFAs (of course)
> > 	2) Any NFA can be represented as a DFA where the states of
> > 	    the DFA tuples of the states of the NFA.  [Think about
> > 	    how you would write an NFA simulator; you'd have N
> > 	    possible states moving from transition to transition.]
> >
> >  So, DFA <-> NFA.
>
> Cheater... "non-finite" != "infinite" in this definition.
>
> BTW: The "machine translation of natural languages" question was asked
> tongue-in-cheek... I suppose I need to add "8-)"'s.  8-(.
>

> 					Terry Lambert

 Err, umm,  in the context of regular expressions; (recall the original
discussion was the speed of regex vs. pearl):

   NFA is
      Non-deterministic _Finite_ Automata
   DFA is
      Deterministic _Finite_ Automata

 Determinism is quite a different idea from finite/infinite.

 We haven't crossed over into the "infinite" yet :-)  It's rather
interesting to banty around the idea infinite automata, and possible
ramifications on a G.O.D. (General Omniscient Device), much less our
own existence; especially over some beer :-)

	- Dave Rivers -