Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 18:59:08 +0200
From:      Juan Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        snap-users@kame.net
Subject:   IPv6 autoconfiguration on a multihomed site

Hello all:

I'm using FreeBSD-4.8-RELEASE.
(I've tested the same thing using a KAME snap, so I CCs to them :)

I've got two routers sending RAs on the same link, so the
host is configured with two IPv6 prefix on the same NIC.

Watching the routing table I only see one default IPv6 route.

When I try to ping the global IPv6 address of one router, if
I'm lucky and the router is the same router which I've got
installed on the default route, it will answer.

The problem is that the host doesn't seem to realize that
it is on two links at the same time, so it always sends packets to the
default router....

For example, if there's only one RA, the autoconfiguration process
ends up with a link-route like this:

2001:720:410:1001::/64            link#2                        UC        fxp0

On the other hand, when there are 2 RAs on the same link, this
route doesn't exist !

Is this behaviour right ? I've observed the same thing on Linux...

--
JFRH