Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:07:25 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gjp@in-addr.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to talk to dialups

Brian Somers wrote in message ID
<199909261052.LAA23749@keep.lan.Awfulhak.org>:
> I think it's up to the ISP what default policies they have, and I
> also think that this sort of policy is a good default... but only as
> long as the ISP allows exceptions.  As a paying subscriber with a
> clean record I *must* be allowed to ask for a hole through your
> firewall.

No, actually, there is absolutely nothing which says that you, as a
subscriber of good standing, *have* to be allowed to connect to
non-local port 25.  I think it is perfectly reasonable that the ISP
require that you buy a static IP (with N months initially prepaid) or
something to get port 25 privs.

If you want to go after the real source of the problem, then lobby
your local government to make spammers pay for the damage they do.
Otherwise the `freedom' of the old internet will be worn away because
ISPs will have to protect themselves more and more.

Anyhow, this is completely offtopic ... mail me in private if you want
to continue :)