Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:42:38 +0000
From:      Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heat-death of the last of the 2-socket/2-cores-each PowerMac G5s that I have access to

On 1/12/21 4:38 AM, Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc wrote:

> On 2021-Jan-11, at 17:42, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> The last of the 4-core PowerMac G5s that I have access to now shuts
>> down for "CPU B0 DIODE TEMP" that "exceeds critical temperature
>> (90.0 C)" when I try to rebuild/update ports or such. The other
>> 4-core G5 failed for such reasons in similar contexts a few months
>> ago.,Interestingly, the two G5s have very different liquid cooling
>> systems despite the similar time frame for the failures.
>>
>> Without the faster G5s, I may just use cross-built world/kernel
>> material and see if there is a tolerable but minimal set of ports
>> for supporting boot testing/dump inspection and basic operation of
>> the slower 2-socket/1-core-each and 1-socket/1-core-each PowerMacs
>> that I have access to, avoid things like building devel/llvm*
>> ports that take so long. (I have fairly strong time preferences.)
>
> I've done some more testing and, while use as a (full load/speed)
> builder machine is a no-go, it looks like this 4-core G5 can
> still be used for boot testing and basic operation without
> overheating. The prior failing machine overheated more easily
> but might have a similar status if I test it just for such use.
>
> How long the recently failed G5 will be useful for boot and basic
> operation testing, I do not know. But probably longer than for
> the originally-failing G5.

The shipping cost of a replacement unit would be more money than the
entire machine itself.  I have four of these units where I keep one
of them running neatly. I think I have half a dozen more somewhere
in the back of a warehouse in Toronto.  Back in 2010 ( or earlier )
they were fantastic CPU powerhouse units running some math crunch
daemons that I wrote. Also, hard to believe but it was more cost
effective than running the big SPARC64 units that I had at the
same time. Ever tried to run Sun/Oracle M4000 or M5000 machines?

In any case please drop me a line off-list and let's see if we can
figure out a way to get a workable unit into your hands.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC