Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:01:43 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Development Environments?

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Nate Williams wrote:

> > 	I'm looking for something in the way of a 'prototyping'
> > environment that will work with FreeBSD for that I can do mock-ups...
> >
> > 	Basically, I want to be able to do all my development on my
> > PII/FreeBSD machine vs an old and tired P166/Win95 machine, and need
> > something that I can do 'front-end' design on in Java...
> >
> > 	Do we *have* anything like that available yet?  Or someone is
> > working on something?
>
> I'm not sure I follow.  Are you looking for a Visual IDE, or what.

Yes...I just took a look at Java-WorkShop on my Win95 machine (Baldur's
Gate doesn't run under *any* Unix that I'm aware of *sigh*) and it pretty
much does what I'm looking for...but runs dog slow (who would have
thought, Microsoft and slow!)

I don't need it to build up the 'guts', only the GUI interface that the
user sees, and I've always hated designing/writing UIs :(

> (BTW - I use FreeBSD full-time to do my commercial java work.  I spent
> the weekend debugging Win32 bugs on my FreeBSD box, which makes it
> much easier to develop/test Java applications that are deployed on
> Win32 systems....)

This is why I'm trying to move towards Java...my client is pretty much
*pure* Microsloth, so I'd like to be able to *design/build* in my
environment, but give him product that will work in his...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org