Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:23:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates

I have reported, several times, problems having to do with large
FFS filesystems, possibly related to softupdates, posibly not, to
Kirk, Luoqi, etc... Nobody showed any interest in looking at the
problems - in fact, the email wasn't even answered.

As a consequence, FreeBSD lost out for being considered a candidate
at NASA/Ames for large mass storage. Shrug...It may or may not be
true that softupdates, per se, are stable. In my opinion, FFS as
offered by FreeBSD (and NetBSD) have not shown themselves to be
adequate to large (>500GB) filesystems. Sad to say, ext2 under
linux works better.