Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 15:45:06 -0500
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   BIND 8.2 Problems when reloading

Hi all,
  I was just writing to see if anyone else has experienced this problem
under FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE.  I am trying to run BIND-8.2 (from ports) and am
getting some really weird behavior.  The name server seems to come up fine
and serves up names unhindered for an indefinite period (probably
"forever", but it hasn't gotten that far.).  However, every once in a while
(OK, probably once every couple of days), someone wants to make a change to
their zone files.  This works fine, then a named.reload is run.

  named.reload is a wrapper script that we have customized to grab some
files with "mirror" the to run "ndc reload".  This works fine and dandy
about 2 of 3 times.  Every third time or so the program hangs and the
following is dumped to the server logs:

May 13 15:14:04 ox named[81161]: ctl_wrtimeout: /var/run/ndc: write
timeout, closing
May 13 15:14:04 ox named[81161]: ctl_srvr.c:660: REQUIRE(sess->state ==
writing) failed.
May 13 15:14:04 ox named[81161]: ctl_srvr.c:660: REQUIRE(sess->state ==
writing) failed.
May 13 15:14:04 ox /kernel: pid 81161 (named), uid 0: exited on signal 6
(core dumped)

  This same set of messages will appear without delay approximately every
third time, if not by then it happens very shortly after.  This doesn't
seem to have anything to do with how close the commands are run after each
other.  I have successfully run 5 reloads in a row (within 1 sec of each
other), then the 6th dies.  On another occasion the first one I run (first
time it has been reloaded in about 10 hrs) it dies straight out.  The
messages are always the same.  Has anyone seen this problem before.  I have
another system running BIND-8.2 and 3.2-BETA that doesn't seem to exhibit
this problem.  I have included the system information below:

Pentium 133
128MB RAM
SCSI Hard Drives
3Com 3C905B Ethernet
3.1-STABLE (CVSUP/kernel reinstall 4/26/1999)

  The only difference between the working machine and the one that doesn't
work seems to be the OS version and the number of zones being served.  It
seems to be a problem with named connecting to a file-based control socket.
 Any ideas??

Thanks,
Ben Gavin

  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant