Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/33525: root access without password

The following reply was made to PR i386/33525; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To: "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:47:49 +0200

 On Sat, 05 Jan 2002 10:00:02 PST, "Crist J. Clark" wrote:

 >  >  i know what want to tell me, but i setted up a root password. it was the
 >  >  last point in my installation.
 >  >
 >  >  so, what can we do ?
 >
 >  Can you reproduce the problem and tell us the exact way to do so?

 I'm guessing the root password was set to the empty string, wasn't set,
 or was set but not written to disk by the time sysinstall terminated
 (either because of a segfault, a premature powerdown, a system lockup or
 whatever).

 Unless the originator can show us how to reproduce the behaviour
 reported, I think we can close this PR, because it certainly doesn't
 agree with the experiences of many of us.  Matthias?

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.