Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 01:13:17 +0100 (CET)
From:      N <niels@bakker.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Leftover qpopper drop files

Quoth Paul Stewart:

> All our users have a .pop file here but none of them get any errors...
> is this unique or the way it's supposed to be? :)

Did you actually read his problem description?

Quoth Mike Harshbarger:

| I've ran qpopper 2.53 on both systems. Qpopper creates a temporary drop
| file named /var/mail/.username.pop. On Solaris, this file was deleted
| after use. They hang around in FreeBSD. If a new customer happens to pick
| the same username as a old, deleted account, they'll get this error when
| they try to pop their mail:
| -ERR System error, can't open temporary file, do you own it?

Keyword is "new customer" - this implies "new/different userid" which
means qpopper cannot (after having done a setuid() to the target user)
open the temporary drop box since it's owned by another userid (one that
isn't even present in /etc/passwd [anymore]).

It could have something to do with SERVER_MODE.  Was it defined on the
Solaris x86 version during compile time?

As far as I know Solaris doesn't do any cleansing of temporary
directories, except that all contents of /tmp are lost after a reboot.

	-- Niels.