Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 02:33:07 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   best wdc0 flags ?

Hi. I just put a shiney new IDE (Ultra33) drive in a machine, and
I'm wondering what the best flags to use for the drive are.. I realize
that I can't get DMA on -STABLE (cvsupping right now), but with the
default LINT flags of:

controller	wdc0	at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 flags 0x00ff8004 ..
which turns on 32-bit transfers and multi-block-4

I'm gettting really crappy performance..

vnode:{76}~ % iozone 160 32000
IOZONE performance measurements:
	2237052 bytes/second for writing the file
	2264181 bytes/second for reading the file

Now that is horrible. :-) Same results with block-size of 8K.
I think I'll try without the flag option at all and see how it performs.

Any recomendations appreciated,
-Mark

P.S. The drive is a Quantum Fireball SE 4.3GB, FWIW.

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code