Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 1996 00:58:27 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/include utmp.h

> another place later: while the upgrade installation will painlessly
> create the new files, it will leave the old files in their stale
> location.  Nobody will ever notice that they are stale, well unless
> somebody tries to edit them and wonders why his changes are not in
> effect at all...

Yes, this and a host of other unpredicatable issues will be part of
every upgrade we do.  If we improve our accounting so that we know
what to ask the upgrade system for at all ("gimme the new bindist, man
pages and the bash and tcsh packages if they're newer"), and do this
framework we've just started talking about (I'm looking at CTM right
now, actually, it's interesting.  It lacks PGP key signatures for
creating truly *trusted* deltas (and I think this is an important
point) and won't invoke pieces of a delta as executables, but those
features could perhaps be added. :-)

> What about a `whiteboard' directory in CVS?  Some place where
> everybody could append his notes at the end of a file?  When it's

Sure, just so long as this doesn't turn into another "TODO file"
fiasco.  I've always liked the idea of making it easier for us to
leave notes for one another, there's just this constant problem with
nobody ever erasing the whiteboards. :-)

I'd actually prefer to make it so easy to make your own upgrade delta
(e.g. there'd be a better tool than ``pkg_create'' this time :) that
people would be more inclined to just make and commit one on the spot
than describe it in words which some release engineer might or might
not ever do anything with.. :-)

					Jordan