Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 12:28:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "J.D. Falk" <jdfalk@cybernothing.org>
Cc:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0: receive: bad crc

On Tue, 5 May 1998, J.D. Falk wrote:

> On 05/05/98, Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se> wrote:
>
> > I occasionally get read crc errors on an SMC card using de0. Shall I be
> > concerned?
> >
> > It seems to happen only from 3com 3c905 cards, running both on windows
> > and on FreeBSD 2.2.6. I know there's problem with the card on FreeBSSD
> > in 100 Mbps, but this is in 10 Mpbs.
> >
> > Ther SMC card runs in 100 Mbps.
>
> 	I was getting a lot of those with a de card (made by Bay
> 	Networks, using a DEC chipset, at 10 mbps), but it looks like
> 	it fixed itself after I upgraded to the most recent -STABLE
> 	yesterday morning.

  Probably not.  As I recall, a feature was added to the de drive to
log CRC errors, and later this feature was disabled.  So the CRC errors
have probably always been there, and are still there now.  A few CRC
errors should be harmless.  You can check netstat for the current number
of output and input errors.

Tom