Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 10:45:16 -0500
From:      Jim Carroll <jim@carroll.com>
To:        Administrador UdeM <root@guacari.udem.edu.co>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with pop3 (popper)

On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Administrador UdeM wrote:

> Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:17:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: Administrador UdeM <root@guacari.udem.edu.co>
> To: freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: Problem with pop3 (popper)
>

> Hi everyone, I'm obtain popper from ftp.freebsd.org/ports-217/qpopper...,
> nexrt, i active this but i obtain this message:
>
> +OK QPOP (version 2.4b2) at guacari.udem.edu.co starting.
> <12914.879326175@guac
> ari.udem.edu.co>
> user dlagb330
> +OK Password required for dlagb330.
> pass <my password>
> -ERR System error, can't open temporary file, do you own it?
> +OK Pop server at guacari.udem.edu.co signing off.

 The POP drop used by poppper for this user has someone elses permissions.
 Check your POP_DROP (constant defined in popper.h) to see if a popdrop
 exists for this user.  On my system, this is set to /var/tmp.

 If the pop drop has another users permissions, just delete the drop file.
 popper will re-create it as necessary.

 The most likely cause of this problem is you deleted, then re-created this
 user's account.  When they were re-created, the permissions on the drop
 file were set to the users old uid.  They were now locked out.

---
Jim C., President       | C A R R O L L - N E T, Inc.
201-488-1332            | New Jersey's Premier Internet Service Provider
www.carroll.com         |
www.message-server.com  | Carroll-Net  Message Server.