Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:56:52 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Libretto Sound

OK.  I found my problem.  My BIOS settings for the sound card were
fu-bar'd.  Once I fixed them, it worked great.  Luigi's sound drivers
are nice.

Has anybody played mp3 (128k) files on the Libretto 50CT?  I get drop
outs that last approx 10-20ms or so every few seconds (using amp to
play them).  Almost a warbling sound, but not regular enough.  I'll
try them on a faster machine with a sound card, but wanted to ask
here.  The same files sounded OK (a little tinny) on my brother's 70CT
running Linux + OSS.  Note: my brother and I have many of the same
CDs, and the files in question were off of one of those we both own
legal copies of.

I suspect that I'm running out of CPU with the P75 + no L2 cache that
is in the Libretto 50CT.  I could likely overclock this fairly easily,
if the no L2 cache isn't the killer.  I suspect that I'm running out
of some kind of bandwidth because I get huge dropouts, repeated audio,
etc when I bring up another X term.

I had hope to make this a nice portable 20-40 CD changer for my car
(with 1.8G of disk for this purpose), but if I don't have enough horse
power, I'll have to think of something else...

Warner