Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 16:12:04 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        Alex <ak@freenet.co.uk>, Russell Cattelan <cattelan@thebarn.com>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creative seems to open up SB Live

> Alex:
>  |Russell Cattelan wrote:
>  |> Randall Hopper wrote:
>  |> > It's possible it could be accommodated as GPL.  The Linux AWE drivers I
>  |> > integrated into the kernel tree are GPL, for example:
>  |> >     /usr/src/sys/gnu/i386/isa/sound/
>  |>
>  |> This would be a nice option...  at least initially.
>  |No!  No GPLd crap in the kernel.
>
> Hey!  Take it down a notch Amancio.  That is, unless you're volunteering to
> do the work.  You should try the KDE group's philosophy:
>
>      When making a suggestion, change 'we should...' to 'I will...'
>
> Yeah, I know.  You're busy right now.  So am I.  However, I wouldn't
> presume to dictate how others spend their free time hacking driver code.
> Think "suggestion" and everyone will be alot more receptive (and willing to
> help).
>
>  |There doesn't seem to be anything special or particularly complex about
>  |SBLive that it can't be ported to FreeBSD.
>  |Now we need someone to plug the new driver to one of the existing sound
>  |driver models .
>  |I respectfully suggest that one of the young hackers to buckle down and
>  |get to work be that just copying the existing SB Live or getting the docs
>  |for the chipsets and use the GPL as a model.
>
> AFAIK "port" is not an option, "re-engineer" is (from your no-GPL
> perspective at least).  We want to keep this kosher.
>
> With this headache in mind, that's why I suggested the GPL branch.

I think I should take the "notch up " and not "down" and Iyour
suggestion is most welcome.

If you are hacking great and I am sure that everyone in the mailing
list is most appreciative . If you are creating poetry on the
merits of GPL vs BSD , then I "suggest" to code for the primary
reason we are having this debate is because "that someone" around
here didn't buckle down and wrote the driver. The reason for not
coding are plenty yet there are users enjoying whatever multimedia
offering we have , there are companies which are making billions
of dollars off FreeBSD so "somewhere" there is money and
"somewhere" there are young energetic hackers able to sit down
down hack .

Last but not least this group was mostly founded by
me to code and have fun with the code . It was never meant
to be a philoshopy forum.

	Relax , code and have fun!!

--

 Amancio Hasty