Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2016 15:37:38 -0700
From:      Aleksandr Miroslav <alexmiroslav@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recording Internet radio?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Jonesy via freebsd-questions <
freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> wrote:

> >> Is there something I can install from ports on a server to record
> Internet
> >> radio?
>
> maybe mplayer/mencoder or rtmpdump could be used.
>
> Also, streamripper

As it turns out, streamripper is even better than mplayer. The command line
switches are very good and pretty much do what I want. With mplayer I
needed a script, streamripper allows me record with a single command.

More importantly, mplayer recorded to wav, which made for large files. My 4
hour recording was several Gigabytes before I used lame to convert to MP3.
streamripper records directly to AAC. The recording is 60MiB in size.

Thanks again for suggesting it.