Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 10:49:23 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Andrew V. Stesin" <stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What I'd like to see brought to -stable

> as a -stable SNAP is prognosed, I've found myself brave enough
> to post my personal wishlist of what I'd like to see included
> into it. Oh yes, the team is doing a great work of bringing
> kernel changes and bugfixes into it, but there are other
> areas as well. Maybe some kind soul will take the following
> into account, too? So here it is:
>
> 1.  (kernel) A fix for "system binds" problem (IDE system with X11
>     "goes asleep" periodically for random periods of time).

I'm not sure this can be fixed in software w/out slowing down the rest
of the system, but John would be able to asnwer more.

> 2.  "phk malloc" by Paul Henning Kampf. It's one of the best performance
>     improvements I've seen, why recompile approx. entire world after
>     dropping it into an installed system? And, taken from -current,
>     it works without a glitch -- only _times_ faster :)

Alot of changes that went to other parts of the system would have to go
in, and I don't think anyone wants to go all over the system to find
them.

> 3.  "STARTUP_SETLOCALE hack" removal and a couple of localization
>     changes done by Andrew Chernov throughout the userland
>     utilities.

Same as #2.

> 4.  A new groff (1.10). It's way nice to have direct LaserJet printing!

Hmm, are you willing to do the work so that one of us can bring it
in. :)

> 5.  Recent PPP improvements.

I'm pretty sure Peter's bringing in the pppd stuff, and I'm trying to
get Doug to bring in the ppp stuff.

Nate