Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 1996 13:27:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        John Anderson <johna@mail.bbcc.ctc.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Would like your opinion

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, John Anderson wrote:

> I'm new to this list and new to FreeBSD.  Some friends and I are
> getting ready to start providing internet service to our community
> and would like any suggestions you may have.
> We figure on starting small and growing (hopefully).  56k line to
> start, with 5 lines coming in.
> FreeBSD running on a:
> Pentium 100
> 16 meg ram
> 1 gig scsi hard drive
> 4X CD rom drive.

Seems reasonable. Of course you will not be running a news server on 1
gig, but that is just as well considering you have only a 56K line.
Arrange for newsreading permissions at your provider or with some other
ISP who is close to you on the network (check it with traceroute).

The CD-ROM choice seems strange. If you want to load shareware CD-ROM's
to get people to do file transfers locally instead of over the 56K (a
good idea) then you should get 1x CD-ROM's and buy several.

As soon as you can (maybe right now) get a tape backup unit.

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael@memra.com