Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 22:34:01 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Nils Holland" <nils@daemon.tisys.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:  The Road Ahead?

Probably not the best etiquette to dredge this up, as it's a week or
so old now (though it WAS an enjoyable and invigorating thread),
but this just hit me, maybe because these days I'm spending more
time *fixing* computers and less time *using* them...

>So far about what has happened. The question, however, is what we can learn
>from it. Basically, I believe that the computer industry is in serious
>danger - Moore's Law seems to be self-destructing. What I mean by this?
>Well, seriously, if I go to a computer shop these days, then I will find a
>whole lot of hyper-fast machines, but for an ordinary user, these probably
>wouldn't make much sense. If a 500 Mhz machine sits 90% idle while someone
>writes a letter of surfs the web, then why should he upgrade to a 2000 Mhz
>one?

Maybe I'm not an ordinary user.  I have a Windoze box at 475MHz, and
during the process of recording and/or mixing multitrack audio, I *very
often* wish for faster processors, memory, disk access, protocols,
etc., etc., etc.,

Latency, underruns, and just sitting there while it spends 98% of its
processing power doing a task....although computers can process
M + MIPS, I still get bored *waiting*.  Anyone who's ever built
world on a Pentium 90 can relate to that, and I'm told that in
many countries 'round the globe a 486DX will still bring a good
price.

E-mail?  (or is it email?---but that's another thread)... any box'll do.
But there are some valid reasons to have a "Need for speed...."

Nils, if you find yourself with an extra 2GHz CPU floating around,
ship it to Missouri.  ;-)

Coffee's on me this time, Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P.