Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2011 10:25:39 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@immure.com>
To:        Marko Lerota <mlerota@claresco.hr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Constant rebooting after power loss

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 03:29:39PM +0200, Marko Lerota wrote:
> George Kontostanos <gkontos.mail@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Not with the same behavior and it depends on what your server is doing at
> > the time of the power interruption.
>
> It was in stage of booting after first power loss.
>
> > but ZFS is not the solution to your problem. ZFS is not designed to replace
> > the needs of a UPS.
>
> I'm just asking if this wouldn't happen if I used ZFS. I read that ZFS
> don't need fsck because the files are always consistent on filesystem
> regardless of power loses. That the corruption can occur only if disks
> are damaged. But not when power goes down. I'm not planing to buy UPS
> for home use.

I really don't know much about ZFS, but I do know about disks (I work on SAS
device drivers for AIX and deal with lots of disks); and I doubt that any
filesystem is going to be immune to sudden power failures when writing to a
disk. At least I wouldn't trust them. If you care about the integrity of your
data, I would reconsider your plans about the UPS.

--
Bob Willcox              Trying to explain things to people who already know
bob@immure.com           everything is like trying to teach a bear to dance;