Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 20:58:51 -0700
From:      Michael VanLoon <MichaelV@EDIFECS.COM>
To:        "'Randy Bush'" <randy@psg.com>, Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: freebsd w/ scsi and ide (fwd)

Actually I have been doing this for years as well.  Put a complete root
filesystem on the IDE drive for disaster recovery, and then selective
backups to it as needed.

I usually disable the drive in the BIOS then, letting the system boot SCSI,
and the *BSD kernel probes the IDE drive and autoconfigures it after boot,
so it's still accessible when the system is up.