Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 08:50:37 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Performance drop in sound (pcm driver or scheduler?)

I just rebuilt by kernel this morning at around 2:00 AM from a fresh
cvsup.  Now, the sound driver doesn't perform as well as it used to.
For example, playing audio clips in realplayer sometimes skips or cuts
out when I open up windows, etc.  My Mar 28 build of the kernel
doesn't have this behavior.  I have the ESS 1868 ISA sound card.

Maybe it was a change in the scheduler that did it?  At any rate, I'm
noticing a drop in performance when I play mp3's or even low-quality
audio clips with RealPlayer.  I'm thinking that if the sound driver
isn't at fault, then it's gotta be changes in the scheduler that's
causing the sound apps to not get the CPU time it used to.

Again, I'm comparing kernels that were built Mar 28 and Mar 30, the
Mar 30 build having the noticable drop in sound driver quality.
Basically, I don't really notice any difference overall in system
performance between the two, but the pcm driver doesn't seem to be
performing as good as it did as of mar 28 and before.

I'm guessing that it's the pcm driver's fault, but I just want to
cover all bases since someone did mention the new sched. code.  What
pieces of both were changed between Mar 28 and Mar 30?

- Donn