Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2001 23:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Klement <klemscot@klements.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/30965: Cyclades Cyclom-Yep causes FreeBSD to hang during boot

The following reply was made to PR i386/30965; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Scott Klement <klemscot@klements.com>
To: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc: <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject: Re: i386/30965: Cyclades Cyclom-Yep causes FreeBSD to hang during
 boot
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 01:16:27 -0500 (CDT)

 On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Bruce Evans wrote:

 > On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Scott Klement wrote:
 >
 > > The BIOS does not show any IRQ conflicts. The dmesg also does not show any
 > > IRQ conflicts.  (But perhaps something is responding on IRQs that it
 > > shouldnt?  I wish I knew more about how this works...)
 >
 > Do you mean it desn't show any shared IRQs?  PCI IRQs can't really conflict.
 > Shareing them is supposed to work.

 Errr.. sorry, you're right.  I meant that no two devices are assigned the
 same IRQ number -- i.e. nothing is shared.

 I have to disable devices to get it to that point, where nothing is
 shared, but doing so does not prevent FreeBSD from hanging during boot.

 > > I can certainly send you a dmesg if that will help.   I could also send
 > > the e-mail conversation that I had with the Tech Support person at
 > > Cyclades about this..   would that help?
 >
 > Start with the complete dmesg for booting with -v, and "pciconf -lv"
 > output.

 I can do the dmesg by using a serial console, and recording the output
 with script(1) or similar...   But I can't really do a pciconf, since
 the FreeBSD hangs before I can get to a shell prompt.

 Unless, of course, running pciconf without the Cyclades equipment attached
 would help?

 Also, the pciconf in 4.4R doesn't appear to have a -v option.  Perhaps
 I should upgrade to -current before trying these things.  I'll begin
 the upgrade process as soon as I can Monday morning...  It's a fast
 machine, so making world shouldn't be too bad.

 > Did the Tech Support seem helpful?

 They were courteous, and treated me with respect -- making them the best
 tech support I've ever worked with :)  But, they didn't suggest anything
 that I hadn't already thought of or tried.

 After I convinced him that I wasn't sharing the IRQ with another device,
 and that the unit itself wasn't defective, he told me that I needed to talk
 to Dell, that something was wrong with their BIOS.

 Dell, of course, promised to be spectacularly unhelpful, insisting
 thatt the problem was either with the "3rd party devices or the 3rd party
 software" and that they couldn't provide support for them.  They refused
 to even consider the idea that it might be their BIOS.

 > Bruce

 Thanks for your help, so far!  I'll try what you've suggested and send you
 the results.

 Scott