Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:01:09 -0500
From:      Jason <jason@ec.rr.com>
To:        Ludwig Schreier <lu.schreier@t-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About the IBM R40e notebook and its harddrive, making strange sounds.

Ludwig Schreier wrote:

>Hi community,
>
>it isn't easy to describe and actually it is not a serious problem, but what
>is the UFS (Unix File System, FFS even?) doing every few minutes?
>
>My harddrive (I believe its a IBM harddrive, since the whole notebook is IBM)
>makes strange sounds every 1-2 minutes if there is _no_ great load or system
>activity.
>
>Don't laugh, but something like:
>
>"dack, dack."
>
>A frequent routine check  ... ?
>
>I have read a bit about how harddrives work and what's in them, because I am
>interessted in such things and what exactly is the reading header doing ?
>
>If the harddrive is driven by NTFS i.e., no sounds will occure.
>
>So the question is - because no major errors of hardware occured yet - does
>this mean something to my harddrive or is it just how UFS is working with it?
>
>Thanks for help on this! :)

My ideas:

1.My first thought would be its ibm.  If you remember reading about ibm
drives dieing for no reason, it was because the heads would drift when
idle and could hit the platter surface.  To remedy this ibm released an
updated bios for there drives that would randomly or every so often move
the heads around when idle to keep the heads from drifting.

2.The drive maybe truly idle under bsd and not ntfs because winxp(is
that what you have?) sechdules stuff and does stuff all the time. Or
maybe the  its the other way around?

3.It could be that the proper power settings are not set under bsd?  XP
stops the drive so there is no sounds, but bsd does not so now and then
if a process needs the drive you get the "dack" access?

Would "dack" be the normal sound for your drive, or is it only under
this no load state?  Also if you read up on soft updates and other drive
settings you should find that as a feature of some setting drive writes
are stored up and set in order in group to optimize performance.  Thats
all I got.