Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:36:22 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        jose@we.lc.ehu.es (Jose M. Alcaide)
Cc:        jhb@FreeBSD.org (John Baldwin), stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The trouble with boot0

Jose M. Alcaide wrote:

> John Baldwin wrote:
> >
> > Look at the geometry in your BIOS setup and make sure that the geometry fdisk
> > uses matches the geometry in your BIOS exactly.  If it doesn't, then you will
> > have to re-partition with the correct geometry I'm afraid.  Or you can try
> > lying to your BIOS and telling it that your disk's geometry is 3037/88/63, but
> > I doubt that that will work...
> >

> I'll try that tomorrow at work. But, if this is a geometry problem,
> why can I boot from ad0s1 and ad0s2, but not from ad0s3? Typically
> the geometry problems prevent booting from any slice. In addition,
> boot0 is working in "packet mode".

Are you sure that block 3997224 actually has a boot block on it?
I'd suggest using a utility, or writing a trivial program to access
the whole disk slice and verify that.  When I set up a lot of
multiple FreeBSD partitions, I found sysinstall tended to be confused
by them and didn't always install stuff in the right places.

To decide when boot0 or something else is at fault: you should be
able to boot by pressing F2 and then tell /boot/loader to boot from
the third slice.  If you can't do that, the problem is not due to
boot0.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com