Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 02:47:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ncr timeout at installation time.

Hello there!

I have a Toshiba computer with a SCSI Symbios card controlling a hard disk
and a CD-ROM driver [Toshiba XM-6201TA].

I tried to install FreeBSD 3.4 on this computer and everything seemed to
be ok.  It made disk slices, make the partitions, it chose the cdrom as
distribution medium, and made the new file systems in the slice
partitions.

When it started to load the distributions tarballs it took a lot of time
and issued "ncr timeout" and I could not make any further action.  I think
I read a report about this problem in a errata file in the FreeBSD's home
page.  Nevertheless, I have not seen this problem reported in version 3.4.

Is this a known problem?

I make my installation using NFS instead.  It worked perfectly.
When FreeBSD 3.4 started working in my computer the CD driver
worked fine also.  I did not understand what happened.

Do you have any ideas ?
do you believe it is worth of being reported ?

  | |