Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:54:49 +0200
From:      Gerrit =?UTF-8?B?S8O8aG4=?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: canmount=noauto not behaving as expected

Am Thu, 27 Apr 2023 15:21:59 +0200
schrieb Gerrit K=C3=BChn <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>:

> After export/import these filesystems systems stay unmounted as expected,
> but they are still mounted again on the next "zfs mount -a".

> Is this a bug in the manpage, a bug in zfs, or am I misunderstanding how
> this is supposed to work?

I think I found at least part of my misconception: the canmount property
is not inherited. After a closer inspection, I get only nested filesystems
mounted with "zfs mount -a", not the one where I actually set
canmount=3Dnoauto. That's a bit of a pity, as I would like to set/inherit
the property recursively on a whole subtree, but apparently that's not
possible using a single command.

However, I still fon't get any of the nested filesystems mounted on "zpool
import", they all stay unmounted there. So canmount is (quite unexpectedly
to me) treated differently for "zpool import" and "zfs mount -a".

cu
  Gerrit