Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:15:44 +0700
From:      John Indra <john@indocyber.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is the ata driver buggy? [was Re: 4.1-STABLE panics on boot with Huyundai Laptop (P233)]

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 08:42:17PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:

|It turns out, that with the (new) ata driver the machine panics
|and with the old (obsoleted) wd driver the Laptopmachine boots
|flawlessly.

Aha... here's what I found reasonable enough for the cause of lock-ups I've
been having...
I'm not expert enough to prove my statement, but I have a strong hunch that
the ata driver is the prime suspect causing the lock-ups.
When I found my machine lock-up, the harddrive LED light on all the time,
and the harddrive is in condition of spinning...
Never have an uptime of more than 2 days since upgrading to RELENG_4.
Sigh... Like what I've describe before in my other message, the same machine
that lock-up never had any unintentional reboots when running FreeBSD
3.4-RELEASE before...

Regards,
John Indra