Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:10:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/28297: change request for sys/i386/conf/NOTES

The following reply was made to PR kern/28297; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc: Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 15:58:17 +1000 (EST)

 On Thu, 21 Jun 2001, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

 > On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 03:20:03PM -0700, Dima Dorfman wrote:
 > > NOTES isn't supposed to set the variables to their defaults.  NOTES is
 > > supposed to set variables to values *other* than the default to
 > > potentially catch places where the default is hardcoded in (which
 > > shouldn't be).
 >
 > Yes, if NOTES is not supposed to set variables to their defaults, this
 > seems reasonable.  Am sure we can close this PR in that case.  The
 > comment seemed to indicate that this is the default though.  Perhaps
 > we should reword the comment to read something like:
 >
 >     The default is 5, although you can set it to any other value (for
 >     instance 20) as shown below.

 Except the default isn't 5 in -current; it used to be 5; but was changed
 to 45 in rev.1.109 of kern_tc.c (the SMPng megacommit).  The log message
 for rev.1.09 of course didn't say anything about this change.  It
 should have said something like "work around problems caused by extra
 interrupt latency in SMPng by incrementing NTIMECOUNTER to 45").

 There are many nearby bugs.  E.g, "sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1"
 isn't a good strategy, and it doesn't exist in -current.

 Bruce