Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:24:04 -0400
From:      Stephen Clark <Stephen.Clark@seclark.us>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>,  freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2 mtu now limits size of incomming packet

Chuck Swiger wrote:

>On Jul 13, 2007, at 12:27 PM, Bill Moran wrote:
>

>>>I agree with others that MTU means "limit what I transmit".  It
>>>does not
>>>mean "limit what someone else can transmit to me."
>>>

>>Interesting viewpoint.  I disagree with it, but I can't quote any
>>standard
>>or otherwise to support my view.  You didn't either.
>>
>>Does anyone know of a publicised, authoritative standard that would
>>clear this up?
>>

>Sure.  RFC-791:
>
>"Fragmentation
>
>     Fragmentation of an internet datagram is necessary when it
>     originates in a local net that allows a large packet size and must
>     traverse a local net that limits packets to a smaller size to reach
>     its destination.
>
>     An internet datagram can be marked "don't fragment."  Any internet
>     datagram so marked is not to be internet fragmented under any
>     circumstances.  If internet datagram marked don't fragment
>cannot be
>     delivered to its destination without fragmenting it, it is to be
>     discarded instead.
>
>     Fragmentation, transmission and reassembly across a local network
>     which is invisible to the internet protocol module is called
>     intranet fragmentation and may be used [6]."
>
>RFC-879:
>
>"     HOSTS MUST NOT SEND DATAGRAMS LARGER THAN 576 OCTETS UNLESS THEY
>       HAVE SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE THAT THE DESTINATION HOST IS PREPARED TO
>       ACCEPT LARGER DATAGRAMS."
>
>"8.  Maximum Packet Size
>
>    Each network has some maximum packet size, or maximum transmission
>    unit (MTU).  Ultimately there is some limit imposed by the
>    technology, but often the limit is an engineering choice or even an
>    administrative choice.  Different installations of the same network
>    product do not have to use the same maximum packet size.  Even
>within
>    one installation not all host must use the same packet size (this
>way
>    lies madness, though).
>
>    Some IP implementers have assumed that all hosts on the directly
>    attached network will be the same or at least run the same
>    implementation.  This is a dangerous assumption.  It has often
>    developed that after a small homogeneous set of host have become
>    operational additional hosts of different types are introduced into
>    the environment.  And it has often developed that it is desired to
>    use a copy of the implementation in a different inhomogeneous
>    environment.
>
>    Designers of gateways should be prepared for the fact that
>successful
>    gateways will be copied and used in other situation and
>    installations.  Gateways must be prepared to accept datagrams as
>    large as can be sent in the maximum packets of the directly attached
>    networks.

Doesn't this imply if a gateway has 2 interfaces, one with an mtu of
1280 and the other
with an mtu of 1500 it should accept 1500 on either interface?

--

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety,
deserve neither liberty nor safety."  (Ben Franklin)

decreases."  (Thomas Jefferson)