Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2023 19:07:44 +0200
From:      Moin Rahman <bofh@freebsd.org>
To:        Robert Clausecker <fuz@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We need to do something about build times

--Apple-Mail=_5C4C1185-056C-4C69-8A28-B93C369672A7

> On Oct 24, 2023, at 9:12 PM, Robert Clausecker <fuz@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> And it seems I'm slowly killing my build SSD like that.  After just about
> 9 months, it is already at 100 TB of writes just from port builds.
> Building with workdirs in memory is no longer an option as that frequently
> kills my build server by filling all its RAM with build files until no
> processes can be started anymore.  Poudriere does not have an effective
> mechanism to prevent this (tmpfs limits don't work as the ports in
> question require very large workdirs, tend to take very long to build and
> tend to be built all at the same time for multiple jails).

I will just address a small part of the mail as I am mostly the one
maintaining tex. Today I have committed some changes which will reduce
the size of the downloads and increase the timing of fetch and install
target although it won't be helping too much in the stage and pkg
target. In previous I have tried with static plist which often used to
timeout more hence I moved into TMPPLIST. Additionally the pkg-plist
becomes something like 10MB in size I believe.

texlive-texmf is one major requirement for doxygen which is a
requirement of many other ports. This is one reason texlive-texmf is a
common requirement. If you know of a specific reason this one is rebuilt
more frequently let me know I will try to see if the dependency can be
avoided to reduce the build frequencies.

Kind regards,
Moin(bofh@ with all hats off)