Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 1996 22:31:00 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/tzsetup Makefile main.c tzmenu.c

(Moved to -current, where this better fits.)

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I think this is reasonable.  If I'm running single-user with nothing
> but root mounted, I *expect* some things not to work quite right.  I
> can't run vi very nicely without my /var mounted either, for that
> matter, and I usually find this far more objectionable than the
> timezone being set wrong.

Funny you should mention this -- vi needs /usr/share/misc/termcap as
well. :-))  I hope we won't install termcap directly into /etc now...

IMHO, dumping over the entire zoneinfo file into /etc defeats the idea
of keeping the zoneinfo files in a separate directory, and it adds yet
another file of binary junk to /etc.  Anyway, this file is rather
small, and i'm not willing to fight yet another absolutely sensefree
argumentation war about it.  So tell me folks whether my compromise
proposal (re-establish the symlink if it's already been one, copy the
file if it's been a regular file) would find a majority.  This still
leaves the question of which kind of /etc/localtime to install in the
first place, but i'm sick of arguing here and simply copy over the
file in this case.  As long as i could have a symlink for myself, and
one that won't be clobbered, it'll be ok for me.

Funny btw., tzsetup was almost absolutely useless before.  Now that
it's at least working, people complain about how it works. :-))

--
cheers, J"org