Date:      Sat, 5 May 2001 15:18:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>, freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM Laptop 4MB RAM 486 CPU

On Thu, 3 May 2001, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Thursday,  3 May 2001 at  0:22:54 -0400, User Ipt Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:
> > Operating System: FreeBSD
> >
> > 	I have an old IBM thinkpad with about 4MB of RAM(actually it says 3096KB
> > on bootup) with a 486 CPU that I would like to use with PicoBSD.  It has two
> > serial ports and a monitor port with a floppy drive and a HardDrive with
> > about 120 MB.  Unfortunately there is no PCMCIA slots for a NIC.  I have come
> > close to getting NetBSD on this laptop but have failed right at the end.  I
> > figured that I should try a BSD that is made for small spaces.  The FAQ
> > suggests 8MB but claims 4MB has been done.  I figure if I can get a swap

The claim is based on my personal tests of the stock 2.2.5 ROUTER version
- still available from the PicoBSD antiquated web pages...

> > space on their early in the install I should be set because the HD is plenty
> > big enough.  I have had a version of Linux(small linux I think) on this
> > laptop and it worked, but I would rather have a BSD(I'm more comfortable with
> > it).  I this even possible or should I go and find another 4MB of RAM(this
> > thing maxes out at 8MB and the RAM is very hard to find)?
>
> You're probably out of luck.  PicoBSD certainly won't work; it stores
> data in a RAMdisk which is by default 4 MB.  That's in addition to
> normal system memory, so you don't have a hope there.
>
> Current versions of FreeBSD may or may not run in 8 MB; they certainly
> won't run in 4.  Your best bet is to get an old version (for example
> 2.2.8, the last FreeBSD-2 version).  This should function in 4 MB, but
> don't expect a ball of fire.

Although I haven't actually tested it on the recent releases, I would say
it should still "work" - depending on how you define "work" :-). I.e. I
agree that there is no chance to run GENERIC and sysinstall, but a heavily
cut down kernel + sash instead if init... might just cut it. The root
would have to be mounted from the floppy (no MD_ROOT). Then, if you're
lucky you would still have some RAM left to execute swapon.

Andrzej

// Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>, Chief System Architect
// WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// <abial@freebsd.org> FreeBSD developer (http://www.freebsd.org)