Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:28:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alk@Think.COM (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lesstif (motif compatible) package.

>    > I disagree profoundly.  Tk is the closest thing to a standard.
>    > Moreover, Tk is portable to the major non-unix platforms,
>    > while Motif is not.
>
>    Tk is interpreted.  This is a *HUGE* drawback if what you are
>    selling is a commercial product.
>
> No, Tk is not interpreted.  Tcl is interpreted.  And that not for
> long.  You need not use Tcl in your Tk app.  But when the next
> major tcl rev comes along you can ship compiled tcl objects,
> according to the announced development plan.

So will X-builder turn out Tk code?  It turns out Motif code...

>    Tk has Motif drag-and-drop interoperability?  This I have got to see...
>
> Tk has Tk d-n-d interop.  Not Motif interop.  Nor does Motif have Tk
> interop.  Mutatis mutandis.

Except that Motif drag-and-drop interoperability is part of the X/Open
Common UNIX Standard compliance requirements.

>    The small fraction running commercial UNIX and certified to comply
>    with IBCS2 and the SVR4 EABI, so that you as a vendor nedd support
>    only one binary distribution?
>
> The small fraction running Motif.  It's too big to ship static
> executables.

Require shared libraries.

This is obvious a problem with  implementation and licensing instances
more than it is a truly technical problem... you can't build a technical
argument on politics.

>    > And of course it is completely impractical to write freeware using Motif.
>
>    Only because Motif is *currently* a proprietary standard.
>
> I'd like to see that fixed as well, but I'm less motivated because
> I think cross-platform is the summum bonum of GUI, and Motif is
> therefore not of interest.

Win32 isn't of interest as long as there is a requirement to go to
thunk code to actually get things done that should be covered by
the API.

So I guess nothing is of interest?

> And as far as HI standards go, FVWM95 has already done more to
> standardize HI than CDE will ever do.  I prefer CDE's content, but
> there you go.

The reason FVWM is popular is because of the Motif connection.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.