Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 07:45:12 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tripwire

In message <NEBBJFPJOMGCGNBMJMCHIEEGCEAA.nospam@hiltonbsd.com>,
"Stephen Hilton
" writes:
> Dear Mr. Schubert
>
> Regarding your post about the tripwire port, I think this is a good idea
> in that some feedback could be obtained regarding the policy file setup.
>
> I have been using aide 0.7 on my systems and was interested if the "list"
> thinks this is a "solid" enough solution for integrity checking?  I am aware
> that aide is a memory hog, but the systems I administer are used primarily
> during business hours, so aide can be run at night without user performance
> impact.
>
> Thanks for all your FreeBSD and IPFilter support,
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Stephen Hilton
> nospam@hiltonbsd.com

Thank you for your kind words.  Sorry for the late reply.  I've fallen
behind on reading my security & FreeBSD mailing lists mailbox, over 400
emails.  Just not enough time in the day any more.  :(

I've used both Tripwire and Aide, and I maintain the FreeBSD
tripwire-131 and aide ports.  My preference so far has been Tripwire
because of its interactive option.  Other than that and taking into
account some what I might consider relatively minor differences when
viewed at from the 35,000 ft. level, the two packages are quite similar
in function.

Version 1 of Tripwire, especially 1.2, does not manage its memory all
that well either.  The folks at Tripwiresecurity have told me that
version 2 greatly improves its memory management allowing one to
monitor greater numbers of files.  I've hit the wall, so to speak, with
number of files monitored by Tripwire-1.3.1.  The Tripwire-2.3.1 port,
once complete, should resolve that issue for me.

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC