Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 10:29:18 -0400
From:      "Paul F. Werkowski" <pw@snoopy.MV.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/printcap for Deskjet 500 and gs

>>>>> "-Vince-" == -Vince-  <vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu> writes:

    -Vince-> On Sat, 1 Apr 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
    >> > Here is my /etc/printcap file > ...
    >>
    >> Does anyone "own" printing under FreeBSD?  I've often felt
    >> there to be a great, sucking vacuum in the printing side of
    >> things and it really would be NIFTY if somebody who actually
    >> OWNED A PRINTER (this does not include me) and was kind of
    >> DETAIL MINDED actually got mad and angry enough about the poor
    >> printer support and DID SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
    >>
    >> Any takers? :-)
    >>
    >> Jordan

    -Vince-> 	Well, I actually OWN A PRINTER or to be exact, one HP
    -Vince-> DeskJet 560C, DeskJet Portable 310 and a DeskJet 500 and
    -Vince-> recently got printing of everything except for dvi files
    -Vince-> under apsfilter 4.9 delta which I am trying out...  Time
    -Vince-> to add apsfilter to the ports collection? :-)

	I just happened to get a DeskJet 540 last weekend and spent
	an afternoon trying to get the thing to work. I found buried
	in the ghostscript port a file called "unix-pr" along with
	some install script that created a bunch of cdj-550.x print
	queues and a printcap file that basically turned the Deskjet
	into a postscript printer. That, along with a2ps and dvips
	seems to be all that one needs to get the job done. It was
	simple enough to do but it sure would be nice to have it
	automated - or even a good pointer as to where to find the
	needed files.

	By the way, the 540 is a pretty nice unit. ($279 at Staples).
	Does color for $40 more.

	Paul