Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 1999 11:43:33 -0500
From:      "Gene W. Homicki" <gwh@spiders.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiler speeds

 +---
 | > class files slightly differ in size. I cannot tell about the quality of
 | > the code.
 +---

There is a bit of information on the AlphaWorks site
(alphaworks.ibm.com) about some of the optimizations that Jikes does
The information isn't all that complete last time I looked.  The source
code to Jikes can of course be perused now. :-)

As for real-world speed... doing a clean build of one of our projects
(about 850 .java files to compile):

with javac (no JIT):
     1401.93 real      1261.02 user        32.17 sys

with jikes:
      112.32 real        45.05 user        14.61 sys

I love jikes.

 +---
 | So far I've been using jikes to develop 'production' code, and given
 | that there aren't any significant optimizations in either javac or
 | jikes, I feel pretty safe with it now.
 +---

The only thing to be careful of is if your code needs to be deployed on
a Java 1.2 (the "Java 2 Platform") system.  Last time I tried
it, the Jikes compiled code didn't pass the 1.2 verifier.

Gene

--
Gene W. Homicki                               gwh@spiders.com
Objective Consulting, Inc.                    http://www.spiders.com/