Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:46:41 +0100
From:      Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Makhmatkhanov <cvs-src@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Default PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX and dropping PYTHON_PKGNAMESUFFIX

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa

On, Tue Jan 21, 2014, Ruslan Makhmatkhanov wrote:

> Marcus von Appen wrote on 21.01.2014 14:48:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > most python ports, which install into PYTHON_SITELIBDIR or PYTHON_LIBDIR
> > use an explicit PKGNAMEPREFIX assignment to mark the resulting packages as
> > related to a specific python version.
> > The porter's handbook also outlines that ports should stick to this practice.
> >
> > I would like to force the usage of PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX for ports, which use
> > distutils (and hence are always targeting a specific python version), by
> > implicitly setting PKGNAMEPREFIX=PYTHON_PKGNAMEPREFIX in bsd.python.mk. This
> > makes port Makefiles less error-prone and ensures that the ports stick to a
> > common naming scheme, when it comes to packages.
> >
> > At the same time, I would like to deprecate and remove PYTHON_PKGNAMESUFFIX,
> > since it has no practical use or relevance other than creating an inconsistent
> > package naming scheme. Its original purpose (to be read in r91400) does not
> > hold true in my opinion, and I am explaining the reaon(s) for that (among
> > other things when it comes to naming python ports) at
> > http://www.sysfault.org/posts/freebsd-python-ports-pre-suffix.html.
> >
> > If noone speaks up, I'll start with the necessary changes to the
> > infrastructure soon.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Marcus
>
> Like the suffix idea!
> I just want to add, that it would be great to also automatically adjust
> DOCSDIR and EXAMPLESDIR with correct prefix to make docs/examples,
> installed by single port, but for different python version
> simultaneously. This will help to avoid conflicts.
>
> Right now we have this (py-gnupg is just random python port):
> # make -V DOCSDIR /usr/ports/security/py-gnupg
> /usr/local/share/doc/gnupg
>
> So right now it ever may conflict with gnupg docs, if I understand
> correctly. I think that correct dirname would be:
> /usr/local/share/doc/py27-gnupg for python 2.7
> and
> /usr/local/share/doc/py33-gnupg for python 3.3

This already has been done and currently waits for an exp-run. You might have
missed the mails about it the other day:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2013-December/006402.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2013-December/006404.html

Patch:
http://people.freebsd.org/~mva/python_unique_ports_v7.diff

PR for the exp-run:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/185947

As soon as the exp-run has been done and the issues were fixed, it will be
committed.

Cheers
Marcus

--5I6of5zJg18YgZEa