Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:34:08 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@freebsd.org>
To:        Nomad <mailman@crypton.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Password encoding

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 12:17:19AM +0200, Nomad wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> I'v upgraded my FreeBSD to 4.6.2 some time ago. Since that day I added so=
me new accounts to my system. Everything was OK but... But some beautifull =
day I made mistake and I wrote shorter password than the good one. And what=
 happend ? System let me in after succesful authorization !!!
> So I made small investigation. And what I found: new auth_default value i=
n my system is DES !!! And my password on new accounts are only 8 character=
s long !!!
> If you'v done the same check your master.passwd if there are some DES enc=
oded passwords. Because 8 character password without right password policy =
(with short paswords in mind) are VERY easy to brake. I know, I don't have =
to say that on this list, but writting about fundamental things is never in=
 off.

This is a documented limitation in DES password hashing.  You should
only use it if you need to maintain backwards compatibility of your
password file with a legacy application/system.

Kris

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe

--G4iJoqBmSsgzjUCe--