Date:      Tue, 04 Apr 1995 16:40:07 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: swap always use at least 64KB ?

>I noticed this on snap950210, but didn't pay too much attention to it.
>Now (snap950322) I decided to enable swap to a file, created /dev/vn0*,
>did
>
>	vnconfig -e /dev/vn0b myfile swap
>
>and, surprise surprise, swapinfo says:
>		1K blocks	Used
>/dev/wd0b	65536		64
>/dev/vn0b	1280		64
>
>which is kind of curious, as the machine has 16 MB ram and almost
>no activity going on... Swap partition, when in use, are always
>reported with at least 64 KB in use.
>
>Is there any explaination ?

   The first swap block is always pre-allocated. This was done to work around
a problem with people putting their swap partition at the beginning of their
disk (the system would happily try to destroy the label). I suppose it would
be better to change swapinfo/pstat to not include the first block of swap
space in its report.

-DG