Date:      Mon, 21 Apr 1997 16:08:37 -0700
From:      mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX sysadmin GUI (was: Price of FreeBSD)

Wes Peters wrote:

> Sorry, I just couldn't stay out of this.  I once spent a significant
> portion of my time and personal energy to designing something along the
> lines of what Jordan is discussing here, and would like to offer my
> insight.
>
> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
>  > > By `fancy setup and configuration tools' I sure hope you don't mean NT's
>  > > install that blew up on us probing an Adaptec 1542.  We tried to let it
>  >
>  > No, of course not.  That would be deliberate stupidity and I'm not
>  > talking about anything like that.
>  >
>  > Also, the UNIX traditionalists should please bear in mind that such an
>  > interface would NOT BE DESIGNED FOR THEM.
>
> Well, perhaps even the gurus would use it to do the simple, day-to-day
> stuff.  The important part to understand is that the command line tools
> and configuration files would remain the same.

This is what I meant about NT.  I think the AddUser facility in NT is
fine.  I think a lot of the ROUTINE stuff is fine, but there are times
when it's easier and more straightforward to get the command line or a
terminal.

But, I also copped a caveat by saying maybe it was just that the NT GUI
was strange to me and I need to learn to appreciate it.....

-Mike