Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:43:19 -0500
From:      Jim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Judd=90=90?= <jimj@netrake.com>
To:        Reed Lai <reed@icpdas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PicoBSD

Reed Lai wrote:

> Seniors,
>
> I download PicoBSD 0.41 (Networking) and intend to use it as a
> dedicated router+dial-in server on an old 486-100/16MB RAM/floppy
> only panel PC.  There are two problems bother me:
>
> 1. I cannot save the changes of the configuration of device
> driver.  For each boot, I must do it again.  I tried to edit the
> file kernel.conf in the boot disk immediately, but didn't work.
> I cannot run kget because it always "file system full."

Any changes that you make to you /etc directory are on the memory file
system and not the floppy.  If you make changes make sure you mount the
floppy and copy your /etc changes to the floppy /etc.  Depending on what
version of picobsd, the floppy /etc may be gziped.

> 2. May I configure my PicoBSD floppy to boot ahead and skip the
> userconfig?

Sure, if you mount the floppy on another machine you can make the
configuration changes to the floppy etc directory first and then boot
from it on ur 486.

jj