Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:40:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/19790: Cannot rebuild sendmail.cf without installing full source dist

The following reply was made to PR bin/19790; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: bin/19790: Cannot rebuild sendmail.cf without installing
  full source dist
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 23:39:21 -0600

 This is a followup to my earlier PR #19790. Sheldon H. closed the
 PR and replied:

 >The following is taken from the FreeBSD FAQ:
 >
 >     ( http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#UUCPMAIL )
 >
 >     If you didn't install your system with full sources, the sendmail
 >     config stuff has been broken out into a separate source distribution
 >     tarball just for you. Assuming you've got your CD-ROM mounted, do:
 >
 >     # cd /cdrom/src
 >     # cat scontrib.?? | tar xzf - -C /usr/src contrib/sendmail

 While it is a worthy cause to support the development of FreeBSD by buying
 CD-ROMs, ownership of a disc should not be a requirement if one wants to
 reconfigure the system. Nor should devoting megabytes to a full source install.
 The majority of FreeBSD users install via the Internet, and many use snapshots
 (for which CD-ROMs are not available). Therefore, the above answer is not
 helpful in the majority of cases. Comments on the mailing lists
 support the notion that it is desirable to make the files required to
 rebuild sendmail.cf (at least freebsd.mc and the files necessary to process
 it, if not all of the examples) part of the base distribution because they
 are so fundamental to configuring the system for proper operation.

 The fact that sendmail.cf resides in /etc/mail (not /usr/local/etc/mail),
 and sendmail itself resides in /usr/sbin (not /usr/local/sbin) also suggests
 that sendmail is properly part of the base system. The ability to reconfigure
 Sendmail to reject spam, use smrsh and/or Procmail, etc. does not correlate
 well with the need for complete source code and therefore should not require
 full sources to have been installed. Nor should it require ownership of a
 (possibly nonexistent) CD-ROM! Please reconsider making the necessary files
 (at least freebsd.mc and the files required to process it) part of the base
 installation to save system administrators from unpleasant and time-consuming
 surprises.

 --Brett Glass