Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 22:01:26 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   VMware port stability

At 7:08 PM -0400 8/1/00, Vladimir N. Silyaev wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 09:21:33AM -0400, Robert Withrow wrote:
> > Also, could you modify your port so that it issues an error
> > message if it is installed on a version that it doesn't support.
> > Your latest port merrily installs on 4.0-RELEASE, but it
> > doesn't run on 4.0-RELEASE.
>
>I don't think that it doesn't run, it should run, but without
>networking stuff.

I am running 4.0-20000625-STABLE, and had vmware working.  I
noticed the port was updated with a newer version of vmware,
and a number of improvements that seemed nice.  So, I updated
my ports tree, rebuilt vmware2, and it installed fine without
any complaint.  It was not until I rebooted that I got some
messages about "can't load if_tap.ko" and "cannot create
/compat/linux/dev/vmnet1".  My previously-working vmware2
setup is now gone, apparently, because of that upgrade.  I
don't mind too much, because I wanted to rebuild with the
4.1-RELEASE.iso image anyway, but I hope you can understand
that this would get mighty frustrating mighty fast.

The result is that vmware runs, but if I try to start any
previously-working virtual machine I get a new error about
"could not open /dev/vmnet1", and the virtual machine just
stops at that point.  It sure seems like I can not run any
machine which I previously had working, and I was given no
helpful warning of this until it was too late.

> > A final suggestion: it would be great to maintain a
> > version that *does* work on 4.0-RELEASE, even if it
> > doesn't support bridging.  I'm sure there are other
> > sites like ours that can't jump on new FreeBSD releases
> > immediately.
>
> If you have -RELEASE just use port from /usr/ports tree
> what is coming with you release. And you will be guaranteed
> to have the same result as for date when release was
> published, not less, not more.

I understand that vmware2, by necessity, was a fast-moving
target which depended on new features installed in the
"stable" system.  However, I think it would now be a good
idea to do something to recognize that many people are
actually USING the port right now, and can not update to
the up-to-the-second version of 'stable' just to get some
minor changes to vmware2 (such as a new bug-fix release
of the base linux-based vmware from vmware.com itself).

I don't know what the best suggestion would be, but almost
all the other ports have a higher standard of compatibility
with previous freebsd releases than you have described for
vmware2.  My guess is that we maybe need a "vmware2" port,
and a "vmware2-devel" port.  The first would hopefully
remain compatible with freebsd-4.1-release at the very LEAST.
It still might be updated for assorted reasons (such as a new
vmware release from vmware.com), but not in ways where people
trying the port for the first time have to dig up their
original copy of the 4.1-release CD's.  You could then have
the bleeding-edge "vmware2-devel" port, where it is explicitly
stated that you must be running "the absolutely most recent
snapshot of 4-current" to use, and it would even have some
check in it to indicate what that minimum version level is.

Please note that I do very much appreciate all this work
you have been doing to get vmware working so well on
freebsd.  In my case, I got vmware2 for linux, and then
managed to buy new hardware which redhat linux seems to
get confused by.  So it is REALLY great for me that you've
done so much to get vmware2 working as well as it does
under freebsd (freebsd seems to have no trouble with my
new hardware...).  At the same time, it is mighty painful
to have a port which may completely break without notice,
and that it is somehow "my fault" for treating the vmware2
port exactly the same as I treat every other port I use
in the ports collection.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute