Date:      Tue, 05 Aug 1997 15:56:31 -0700
From:      Srinivasan Iyengar <iyengar@s3.com>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Cc:        iyengar@s3.com
Subject:   cannot boot freebsd

Hello,

My customer # is 353174. I have two disks on my machine. Both EIDE. The
first drive
hd0 has Windows NT loaded on it using NTFS file system. This is a 1.7G
drive. My second
drive is 3.8G and I loaded FreeBSD on it. When I installed the boot
manager, it correctly
boots Windows NT when I select it, but when it tries to boot FreeBSD, it
comes up with a
message - "panic - cannot mount root - changing root device to wd1a ".

I tried using the G command to specify the correct geometry of the
drive. It understood
it during the install, but it does not help in getting the system to
boot. Please let me
know what I should do to get this system to boot FreeBSD?

Thanks for your help.

 Srinivasan Iyengar
 S3 Inc.
 2801 Mission College Blvd.   		Voice (408)588-8643
 P.O. Box 58058               		Fax   (408)980-7877
 Santa Clara, CA 95052-8058   		email iyengar@s3.com