Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 2015 02:46:42 +0000
From:      "Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen@missouri.edu>
To:        "ctm-users@freebsd.org" <ctm-users@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do you still need CTM?

On 08/20/2015 07:01 AM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> Hi, Reference:
>> To: "ctm-announce@FreeBSD.org" <ctm-announce@freebsd.org>
>> From:		"Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen@missouri.edu>
>> Date:		Wed, 19 Aug 2015 04:05:26 +0000
>>
>> I just received an email from one of the FreeBSD people telling me
>> that they are worried about the security threat posed by CTM.  They
>> would like to disconnect it from the base FreeBSD system.
>=20
> If someone wants to axe CTM, we should Not acquiesce without examining Wh=
y.
> Periodicaly people wish to rip stuff out of FreeBSD src/; the
> phenomena repeatedly causes un-necessary agravation.  Some previously
> haven't been mature enough to recognise one man's junk is another
> man's valued functionality, some past axers have had to back off.
>=20
> Reasons/excuses to rip stuff out of src/ sometimes include eg size
> (but usr.sbin/ctm is just 300K) & architectural complications with
> kernel & libs (but this is just a user prog). If an axer asserts
> there's a security issue, original author phk@ may be interested.
> <ctm-users@freebsd.org> may also be interested to fix it, but=20
> axe propenet has Not provided us detail.
>=20
> The axer proponent should present detail direct to us <ctm-users@freebsd.=
org>.
> In particular:
>   - Does the axer mean a threat to ctm_smail generator machines ?
>     If so: What threat ? Detail required by Stephen & I.  'Cos it's
>     Stephen's generator host, not an @freebsd.org cluster server,
>     & years back I gave Stephen facilities on my berklix.org FreeBSD serv=
er
>     as fallback, still available if needed.
>   - Does the axer mean a threat to @freebsd.org cluster servers ?
>     If so How ? What ? That's just a mirrored tree & mail servers for del=
tas.
>   - Does the axer mean a threat to ctm_rmail recipients that recompile & =
run ?
>     If so, we want detail, But axers deserve no say re. CTM usage
>     by recipient, that is a judgement call Exclusively for recipient
>     users alone to weigh any risk versus utility & efficiency of use.
>=20
>=20
>> Personally I have become extremely happy with using subversion, and if
>> CTM were to disappear, I could live without it very easily.
>=20
> Doesn't suprise me Stephen, as you are our kind maintainer, the man
> who bridges svn to ctm so you must know both, it us who benefit from CTM,
> not you, thanks for your work :-)
>=20
> Actually I'm currently using both, eg
> CTM update of svn-cur, src-[0-9][0-9] & ports  but also
> svn co -q file:///usr/svn/base/head (& file:///usr/svn/ports/head)
> for testing current patches (can't remember detail, been away)
>=20
> [...]

I don't think it is necessary for people to come up with explicit
security risks before questioning the riskiness of CTM.  The whole point
of security risks is that we don't know they exist before someone finds
them.  Otherwise we would have plugged the risk.

It looks like very few people use CTM - I'm going to guess a grand total
of 10 or 20 people worldwide.

This has two consequences:

1.  Because so few people use it, there are not many eyes looking at the
code.  So the code doesn't get audited very much.

2.  Each piece of code in the base system has to balance its riskiness
against its usefulness.  If only a very few people use a particular
program, then the corresponding thresh-hold of riskiness should be
similarly low.

I really do agree with the person from FreeBSD central who emailed me.
I think we should move CTM away from the FreeBSD base.  If someone else
disagrees with me, then they should take it over, and then argue their
case directly with the FreeBSD project.

There is another consequence of there being so few people who use it.
We have to weigh the costs of creating and maintaining CTM against the
benefits to a few people around the world, each of whom could presumably
find a different way to solve their particular problem if they had to.

Right now, maintaining CTM is relatively easy for me.  And to be honest,
it has brought me a lot of benefits in gaining experience of writing
additional code, or learning a bit about tcl and other scripting
languages.  As long as the work load stays relatively the same, I see no
major personal cost in maintaining it.  And I am happy to keep it going
to help those handful of people around the world who get benefit from it.

But if, for example, the University of Missouri took away the virtual
computer I use to generate CTMs, or they insist on a major redesign of
web pages they host for "branding" reasons, then I'll really have to
think seriously about giving it up.=